Monday 23 July 2012

Peaks Not a Total Bust

Dave with the Agden Reservoir
Even though I was banged up and sore and sorry for myself, I was determined that we do at least one walk whilst we were in the Peaks District.  I mean it's not like we are up there every weekend and I had brought all my gear with me.  And I still had my camera phone with me, at least that hadn't fallen into the stream.  So I could even document the walk.

We decided on a short walk in the Bradfield Dale (I think Dale means valley in the UK),
The massive earthworks of the Norman fort
only 5 kms, but it took us past an early Norman fort, how could we resist!  This is on the Sheffield side of the Peaks, seriously this place is surrounded by some seriously industrial towns!  We started off low, near the Agden reservoir, which supplies Sheffield, before climbing Bailey Hill.  And surprise, surprise, on the top of Bailey Hill is the old Norman castle.

I love how the history here is still reflected in the names of things.  Not much remains, it was one of the real old-style motte-and-bailey castles. These were brought to England after 1066, obviously.  It's
St Nicholas in High Bradfield - lovely views
basically a massive mound of dirt, where the keep was built, and then a second, lower, mound where the fortified enclosure (bailey) was.  Whilst all that remains are the massive earth works, they were still pretty impressive to see, and it's hard to capture the scale, these things were massive.

From this old fort you come to the tiny village of High Bradfield (it's further up the hill from Low Bradfield), and for such a tiny village, we are talking 2 streets, it had a particularly impressive church. Apparently it is built in the Gothic Perpendicular style in the 1480's, awesome style that one.  You can't see it in the photo, but a watch house was built in the grounds in 1745 for a guard, employed to deter body-snatchers.

All in all it was a very pleasant walk, with the added bonus of a bit of history.

How English is the scene!

No comments:

Post a Comment